DNS packet size question.

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Jun 13 20:40:58 UTC 2000

> > What is the normal DNS packet size for a query and a response?
>
> There is no "normal" size. The minimum size of a DNS message that only
> has headers (no questions, answers or anything else) is 96 bytes. The
> size of the question, answer, authority and additional data sections
> will vary tremendously depending upon the type of data being queried (A
> vs PTR vs "*") and how/where the question gets processed.

Are you sure that 96 bytes is right?  I think 12 bytes (96
bits) is more like the size of the header.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.