Message for Bind-users

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jun 14 05:58:11 UTC 2000

    Kevin> Well, we don't *need* DNS at all: everyone could just use
    Kevin> dot-notation IP addresses, or, for that matter, strings of
    Kevin> 1's and 0's. DNS, and underscores, enhance the
    Kevin> human/computer interface, or at least are perceived to by
    Kevin> many of the humans who use the interface.

That doesn't work either unless it gets formalised by a generally
agreed protocol. If I was to henceforce declare that the letter 0
represented a binary 1 and 1 represented binary 0, I could do it.
That doesn't mean the rest of the world should follow suit, even if I
wanted them to. (Or use FOOBAR to denote 1 and foobar to denote 0.)  I
chose these ridiculous examples for exaggeration to show what happens
when people unlilaterally invent their own conventions and refuse to
follow defined, generally agreed and implemented standards. Although
they're unworkable, the above examples are no less silly than
violating RFC1123 and using underscores in hostnames. How many other
parts of RFC1123 can someone choose to ignore or overrule?