reverse lookup I just get the ISP's server

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Wed Jun 14 12:01:30 UTC 2000

David Cost wrote:

> I have a DSL account where the IP is allocated by the ISP's DHCP server.
> They do not intend for users to use this account to host their own server,
> so we are waiting for them to release a new account they have announced
> where they will give out 1 static IP and allow hosting. As we run Win2K
> Server, I have always wanted to run our own DNS server, so to get ready for
> this change, I set up our DNS server yesterday: mpp2.mparam.ca on
> 161.184.112.51
>
> If I do a reverse lookup I just get the ISP's server, not ours. As the ISP
> will not make any changes to our existing account, am I out of luck with
> respect to setting up and testing my own DNS server until such time the ISP
> will give us a static Ip or am I just doing something wrong?

Unless your ISP explicitly has done something to prevent it, you can use
your own name server as a caching server. As for using it as an
authoritative server, you can point your own hosts to it, but hosts on the
general Internet won't find it until your parent domains delegate
authority to it, something that in practice requires a static IP address.

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.