DNS Server keeps resetting

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jun 14 19:26:01 UTC 2000

    Ron> Hello, I have a small problem. Everyday the first thing that
    Ron> I must do is to edit my /etc/resolv.conf file and point my
    Ron> DNS back to my in-house (Balsa) DNS server.

    Ron> I have intalled RedHat Linux 6.2 on a Gateway 2000 Pentium
    Ron> 180 machine.  I have had dns setup on this machine for quite
    Ron> some time. This problem did not start happening until I
    Ron> installed RedHat 6.2 on it.

Presumably this is the Linux version that runs a daily cron job to
clobber your system's config files with its preferred versions. You
should be able to figure out the name of that script from the time
resolv.conf got stamped on and comparing it with the system's crontab
entries. I can't recall the name of this script - something like
conf-install or something like that. I understand that the Linux
version which does this expects you to use some Linux-version-specific
sysadmin tool to update these files and not change them
directly. IIUC, the daily cron job copies its versions of the system
config files from some location where the system administration tool
is supposed to have written them.