Round-robin DNS - How?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 15 00:33:27 UTC 2000

In article <200006142232.IAA00783 at bsdi.dv.isc.org>,
 <Mark.Andrews at nominum.com> wrote:

>> I need to be able to configure a BIND 8.1 (8.2 after upgrade) DNS to
>> return addresses in a round-robin fashion.
>
>	I would upgrade to the current release, BIND 8.2.2-P5.
>	See http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security-19991108.html
>	for why.

This is good advice, but the answer to how to configure round-robin is the
same whether you upgrade or not.

Just put multiple entries with the same name and type, e.g.

hostname IN A  1.2.3.4
hostname IN A  5.6.7.8
hostname IN A  9.10.11.12

and BIND will automatically shuffle them.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA