Security firm warns of outdated software (DNS) ?

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Thu Jun 15 22:59:07 UTC 2000

%
% "Barry Margolin" <barmar at genuity.net> wrote in message
% news:hMV15.96$Nf7.2328 at burlma1-snr2...
% >
% > Basically, all they're saying is that most sites aren't running BIND
% > 8.2.2.  I'm not surprised, since most organizations just use whatever
% > version of BIND comes with their OS.  There's still a very significant
% > portion of the Internet running the stock named on SunOS 4.x servers,
% which
% > is BIND 4.8!  I think Sun finally upgraded to 4.9.x somewhere around
% > Solaris 2.5, but didn't ship BIND 8 until Solaris 7.  I know that when I
% > query our customers' primaries for version.bind, most of the time it
% > doesn't answer, meaning it's either pre-4.9.5 or non-BIND (unfortunately,
% > lots of them are using MS DNS, sigh...).
%
% Is the dnscache/tinydns combo popular?
%
% Thinking about switching...
%
% -N

Not very popular.  Less than 0.01% penetration.

--
--bill