Forwarding source address is ...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 15 17:33:42 UTC 2000

In article <001e01bfd6ed$525d4260$0e00a8c0 at leonilda.com.br>,
Thiago NA <tas at na.com.br> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to understand what is the meaning of this message:
>
>"Forwarding source address is [0.0.0.0].2344"

When the nameserver needs to send recursive queries, it will use local IP
address 0.0.0.0 and port 2344.  Address 0.0.0.0 means that it will let the
OS choose the source address appropriate for the interface that the query
is going through (i.e. you didn't use the 'query-source' option to force a
specific IP address to be used).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA