delegation

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 15 20:28:18 UTC 2000

In article <5DEF109335DAD111B05F00A0C9DDFC023398A3 at ROCHS2>,
Scott.Wiseman <scott.wiseman at realestatenet.com> wrote:
>Can someone explain this in more detail. maybe to a particular use
>in Bind.

DNS is a hierarchical system, and different organizations administer
domains at different levels.  For instance, one organization administers
the servers for the root and COM domain, and another organization
administers the servers for the FOO.COM domain.

In order to find the servers for a particular domain, you work your way
down the hierarchy.  The contents of the COM domain include NS (NameServer)
records for FOO.COM that tell everyone where the servers for that subdomain
are.  If you operated the FOO.COM domain and wanted to allow someone else
to operate the SUB.FOO.COM domain on their servers, you would put
appropriate NS records in the FOO.COM zone file; this is called
"delegation".

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA