Are PTR RRs required?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 15 21:18:12 UTC 2000

In article <8ib8j1$92u$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
Karma Crayona  <karmac at my-deja.com> wrote:
>1) Is it required or advisable to have a PTR record for a dedicated
>webserver (i.e. a host that has no other function)?

It's not required.  It's still a nice idea.

>2) If so, what is the argument for having one?

So that programs like ping, netstat, and traceroute can translate the
address into a meaningful name.  Also, some web servers send out mail
(perhaps as part of form processing) and it's nice when the Received:
headers can include the hostname that comes from reverse DNS.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA