Cisco Distributed Director

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Thu Jun 15 21:45:22 UTC 2000

> In article <39492DB4.4BBCF4D at exchange.ml.com>,
> Dan Considine <dconsidine at exchange.ml.com> wrote:
> >Is there a way to setup non-recursion on an NS record in Bind 4.9.7?  I
> >need to have client queries sent to my Distributed Director for
> >resolution,  TTL on the Director is set to "0",  root server takes 1
> >second to cache this record which
> >defeats the purpose of the "0" TTL.    Any ideas?
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about.  Our DD's only return SOA and A
> records for the names that we delegate to them, they don't return the NS
> records at all.  So the TTL that's used is from the delegation record in
> the parent domain.

And what the heck does "root server takes 1 second to
cache this record..." mean?  The root name servers have
recursion disabled, so they don't cache.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.