DNS Record question.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jun 15 22:14:46 UTC 2000

Harry Hanson wrote:

> I have a domain customer that wants me to set up a url of
> www.staging.gloryboundgirl.com. We currently have the domain
> www.gloryboundgirl.com.
>
> How do we do this?

Just add it to the "gloryboundgirl.com" zone file like you would any
other "gloryboundgirl.com" name. Don't be intimidated by the fact that
it has a dot in the "local" part of the name; this doesn't imply that
you have to create a whole "staging.gloryboundgirl.com" subzone just to
contain the new "www". DNS isn't that rigid.

BTW, I know "the customer is always right", and all that, but wouldn't
"staging.gloryboundgirl.com" make more sense? Presumably regular web
surfers won't have access to the staging website, so it's really not
"worldwide" (as in "World Wide Web"), now is it...?