compiled, now what

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jun 15 22:47:05 UTC 2000

Wayne J. Rasmussen wrote:

> I just did the make on the 8.2.2.p5 version, solari2.6.  I don't
> want to perform the make install as I don't want to put this
> version on the machine I am at.
>
> Instead I want to move whatever files I need to over to another machine
> that I have setup for testing the new verion.  At a minimum, what should
> I put on the test system?
>
> Should I just replace /usr/sbin/in.named executable with the file
> bind-8.2.2-p5/src/bin/named/named?
>
> Do I need to make any changes to the /etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc file?

At a minimum, you'll need named and named-xfer. If you want to use "ndc" to
control your nameserver, you'll need that too. The Solaris startup script
runs named conditionally, based on the existence or non-existence of its
config file. But Solaris 2.6 ships with BIND 4, so the config file it's
checking for is /etc/named.boot instead of /etc/named.conf. Either change
the script or use a dummy named.boot to humor it. Solaris 7's startup
script, on the other hand, is BIND 8 friendly.