MX record problem

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 15 23:48:25 UTC 2000

In article <5DEF109335DAD111B05F00A0C9DDFC023398B9 at ROCHS2>,
Scott.Wiseman <scott.wiseman at realestatenet.com> wrote:

>can I just have this record to resolve mail
>DB.DOMAIN
>

>		IN MX mail.remaxhost.com
>
>	of do I have to say
>
>mail	IN A	ip address
>

>		IN MX mail.remaxhost.com
>DOES THIS MEAN
>DOMAIN.COM		IS THE MAIL SERVER
>AND IF I WANT MAIL.DOMAIN.COM TO ALSO BE THE MAIL SERVER
>I HAVE TO USE
>

>mail	IN A	ip address

You need an A record for the mail server hostname.  You need an MX record
for anything that should be allowed after @ in an email address that you
want delivered to that mail server.  You don't need any other MX records.

So it should be:

remaxhost.com.  IN MX 10 mail
mail            IN A  <ip address>

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net