Caching only Nameserver?

Patrick Buedi buedi at gmx.net
Fri Jun 16 06:01:35 UTC 2000

On 15 Jun 2000 10:36:48 -0700, Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net>
wrote:

>>thought a caching only Server holds a database with all the IP <->
>>names?? I think I made a mistake in my configuration, read different
[...]
>Named keeps the cache in memory.  Restarting named wipes its memory, so the
>cache is gone.
So my configuration seems to be correct :-)
Say... does all Name Servers on the Internet work like this? Cache the
data only in memory?
If (hypotetically) all the Name Server´s in the I-Net where rebootet
at the same time... the request for a specific domain could take hours
till it is resolved... then a nslookup request would run across the
Internet till he finds the Server who holds the domain?

>There's no way to save the cache across restarts.
Okay, thank you very much... now I can do the other important things
:-))

cu...

Patrick