bind-8.2.2-P5 and solaris 2.5.1

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 16 21:30:27 UTC 2000

Jim Reid wrote:

>     Kevin> Question to developers: since the socket call
>     Kevin> uses SOCK_DGRAM, why do the error messages report
>     Kevin> SOCK_RAW?
>
> A raw socket is needed for the SIOCGIFCONF ioctl() that gets the
> system's list of network interfaces.

  With all due respect, Read the Source, Luke (ns_main.c line 1106)!
It's a datagram socket that's opened, not a raw socket, so obviously raw
is *not* needed. One can talk to the interface layer with either kind of
socket. I suspect that named _used_ to open a raw socket, but some OS'es
have flaky implementations of raw sockets, so they switched to datagram
and forgot to change the error message.

No big deal. The only downside is that it could conceivably send someone
on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what's wrong with their
/dev/rawip...