Bind with virtual IPs

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jun 19 17:30:50 UTC 2000

In article <394E39E4.6B483206 at interway.ch>,
Interway Communication GmbH  <info at interway.ch> wrote:
>I have a BIND 4.9.3 Server with

Why so ancient?  If you have to use BIND 4 syntax, you should at least
upgrade to 4.9.7 to get security fixes.

>eth0: 192.168.1.1 and
>eth 0.0: 192.168.1.2
>
>What I have to do that both IP address listen and act as a DNS Server?
>It should be the same DNS server with the same named.boot, but he
>should listen on both IP addresses. Is this possible?

This happens automatically.  BIND 8 has a configuration option to override
it, but BIND 4 does it by default.

Just make sure that you configure the virtual IP *before* starting BIND.
It only checks the interface list once, when it's starting up.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA