Forwarding.....

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Mon Jun 19 17:19:10 UTC 2000

>     If the internal name server doesn't have the records for the
> requested host in it's zone data or cache I would like it to forward
> the query to my external name server. For example, both the internal
> and external name servers are both authoritative for xxx.com. If
> someone looks up machine1.xxx.com and it's not in the db files of
> the internal name server I want it to forward it to the external
> server.
>
> I've used the forwarders directive and forward-only and neither seem
> to have an effect. It appears that since name i'm looking for is
> within the authoratative zone that it simply says it's not available.

Once the resolver gets an authoritative answer then it will be finished
with the query. You need to have the data in the zone table for the
authoritative servers that the resolver(s) are using if you want them to
get the information.

--
Eric A. Hall                                      http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols        http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/