Wildcard Domains in zone file?

Vortex vortex at NOSPAMcaffeine-dot-org.uk
Mon Jun 19 23:26:53 UTC 2000

'lo,

After being informed by a colleague that I could use "wildcard"
domains in a BIND zone file, eg:

*	IN A 195.184.236.248

I decided I'd try and implement this, in conjunction with an Apache
mod_rewrite rule (in the mod_rewrite bit of the Apache FAQ if anyone's
interested) to give users on my system
"www.[username].caffeine.org.uk" usernames, which I assumed I could
accomplish with:

www.*	IN A 195.184.236.248

However, for some reason, the wildcard feature only works if it's the
first character on the line, eg.

*.foo	IN A 195.184.236.248

...allows any *.foo.caffeine.org.uk name to resolve... but for some
reason I can't get it working when the wildcard is prefixed.

Any ideas on this (seemingly) undocumented feature and how it can work
for the above situation?

Thanks in advance for any help,

PS. Running 8.2.2-P5...

--