What is interaction between dhcp & dns?

jdanieli jdanieli at plasmaco.com
Tue Jun 20 21:09:07 UTC 2000

I started out with a redhat 6.1 system running bind.  I set up the dns
tables for all the systems and it all worked fine.  Then I started
reading about dhcpd which sounded good and I set that up also.  Now all
my win95 machines get their leases from dhcpd.  They all see each other
in network neighborhood and have no trouble acessing my main servers.

But now I cannot ping any of them from my linux server.  I get host not
found errors.  But I can ping them from another win95 machine using only
the host name not the full domain name.
     example: ping abcd    works
                     ping abcd.domain.com  doesn't work

Is this normal?

If not the dhcpd server would have to put its leases into the dns
database.  Is there a way of doing this which I'm missing?

I cannot find any documentation which explains how these two things
either talk to each other or relate to each other so that the if I use
dhcpd everything still works the same as if I were using only dns.  Am I
not understanding something basic here?