newbie question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 20 23:55:33 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <394EB5DA.7ACFA8F at daimlerchrysler.com>,
> Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
> >NOSPAM.michel.marcon at vnumail.com wrote:
> >
> >> Hi (surprised...)

> >> OK Barry. But what about the use of the 'search' directive
> >inresolv.conf ? Isn't
> >> it made exactly for this type of user-behavior ?
> >
> >Yes it was. And I think it was a poor design choice. Care to take a guess at how
> >many wasted queries a day my servers receive because of searchlists *despite* my
> >having done everything possible to discourage their use?
>
> Not enough to make a dent in any nameserver's performance.

Thanks for asking. I had over 250,000 searchlist'ed queries to one of my servers
yesterday, a typical day. Whether or not that's a performance "dent", in my opinion
it's grossly wasteful.

> Some organizations have long domain names (public schools in the US come to
> their users appreciate not having to type those suffixes all the time.

As I said, my ire is directed mainly at searchlists. Having a single default domain
isn't nearly as bad as 6 searchlist elements. But best of all is to just use
fully-qualified names from the get-go. Rapidly-improving client technology
increasingly makes explicit typing of the names unnecessary anyway.