Still getting my head around this - Re: Parking other domains.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 22 23:13:12 UTC 2000

In article <BDv45.1$6z6.1122 at nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
Robert Chalmers <robert at chalmers.com.au> wrote:
>> The fact that both [virtual] hosts have the same IP address isn't a
>problem,
>
>So you're saying that the dns config I set up is fine.  (forget about
>virtual hosting for a minute)
>
>It's actually ok to have
>
>  domain1
>  domain2
>  domain-n
>
>all on xxx.xxx.xxx.200
>
>with individual zone entries, resource files, secondary entires... etc.
>like I had in the example?

Yes, it's perfectly fine.

Just pick one of them to use in the PTR record -- don't create dozens of
reverse entries.

>That's facinating. I thought it must surely be breaking the 'rules' and
>would cause chaos!

When a single machine is performing many functions, it's quite common for
it to have multiple names.  For instance, if you use the same machine for
both DNS and mail, you might call it ns.mydomain.com and also
mail.mydomain.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA