New User - on my own and caught a snag..

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jun 23 22:05:25 UTC 2000

In article <p04310128b579498b1f87@[192.168.1.100]>,
Mark R. Nathan <bind at nathan.net> wrote:
>I have parsed over every post here or in the BIND listserve library
>to come up with an answer.  What I do know is that a port issue may
>be at fault but since I turned off NAT and IPFILTER I cant see what
>could be blocking port 53.  I am now 'officially' at a loss.
>(actually was officially at a loss before I started in BSD UNIX but
>dont tell anyone yet ;)
>

>Below are the list of log errors:
>
>Err/TO getting serial# for "dns1.xxx.xxx"   <--- port 53 error in bootlog
>
># every 5 minutes I get this spit out at me
>
>[xxx.xxx.xx.x] not authoritative for dns1.XXX.net for XXX.XXX.XX.X,
>SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 0, aucount 2

This looks like you configured:

zone "dns1.XXX.net" {

What you probably wanted was:

zone "XXX.net" {

The master server doesn't have dns1.XXX.net installed as a separate zone,
it's probably just a hostname within the XXX.net zone.

># I also get this when I reboot in the log:
>
>/etc/name.conf:36: cannot redefine zone 'dns1.xxx.net' class IN
>
>dns1 syslog; exiting on signal 15

That means that you have multiple

zone "dns1.xxx.net"

statements in your named.conf file.  A zone can only be defined once.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA