Newbie to this list and name-servers: Bind 8.xx with DSL at home?

arish arish at uswest.net
Sun Jun 25 13:33:12 UTC 2000

hi everyone;

I'm planning to host my website at home and I have little
basic knowledge about how domains, name-servers, and the
internet work. I'm running Linux(kernel 2.2.14) with
bind 8.xx and direct DSL. As a begginer, I just need to
host one personal website and get mail through this domain's MX. I also
need to use one of those free remote secondary
name-servers or I will ask my ISP to do so. My question is:
is this possible provided that I have 1 or 2 machines? Second,
what data should I put for a primary DNS, one MX, and one web site in
the files I created under /var/named/ which's the directory used by
/etc/named.conf? Suppose the site name is: www.arish.org and the static
IP is 12.345.678.90.
Please give me extended explanations.

thanks for your patience and free tech support