high availiblity DNS

Ramin K ramin at badapple.net
Tue Jun 27 02:40:06 UTC 2000

Barry,

         I was under the impression that Bind's performance issues were due
to its serial nature and lack of multi threading.

I did find info about increasing UDP receive buffers from the default (of
8k in Solaris) and setting the start port for anonymous UDP ports down to
8192 from 32768 to get more resources. I'll see if these increase the
existing performance and go from there. Thanks.

Ramin

At 06:48 PM 6/26/00 +0000, you wrote:

>The root servers probably get many times the rate of queries you get, and
>they get by with a single named process, AFAIK.  If you're seeing drops, it
>may be due to the kernel running out of UDP buffers, and increasing the
>number of named processes isn't going to help this.  All you're going to
>accomplish with multiple processes is that they'll be fighting against each
>other for shared system resources, slowing each other down rather than
>making effective use of all the CPUs of the system.
>
>--
>Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
>Genuity, Burlington, MA

Request a CDROM  1-800-333-3633