W2K DNS won't go authoritative

kevinm at crt.com kevinm at crt.com
Tue Jun 27 12:59:01 UTC 2000

We saw the same type of behavior in a lab environment.  Are you using active
directory on the W2K boxes for DNS or straight files?  Did you start one way
and then switch at some point?  We saw where trying to switch in the middle
caused some weirdness due to the active directory stuff not getting cleaned
up completely.  After removing ALL of the active directory stuff it seemed
to clean up.  The other thing we saw was a problem w/ the root hints
information getting kludged.  3 different times we did the following:  1).
Stop DNS.  2). remove the root hints information.  3). start DNS  4). re-add
the EXACT SAME root hints information.  5).  Just for good measure stop and
start the DNS again.   After doing this, name resolution worked fine again.
This could also have been as a result of trying to go from active directory
to straight files zone storage.

Kevin Martin
Firewall/DNS/SMTP/Network Admin.
kevinm at crt.com