bind-8.2.2.P5, solaris2.6 and solaris2.5.1

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 27 17:23:12 UTC 2000

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 11:44:00AM -0400, sonam at escape.com wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have bind-8.2.2.P5 running on a solaris2.6 server as master and I have
> > set up bind-8.2.2.P5 on a solaris2.5.1 to run as slave (both run
> > chroot'ed), however the slave server is not able to do any zone transfer.
>
> You're missing some libs in chroot jail that named-xfer needs. Check with
> % ldd named-xfer
> to see, which ones it needs!
>
> > Here's a sample of log file when the slave server is started
> How highly uninteresting :)
>
> > i should also mention that i have netconfig in my chroot jail. this was
> > needed as named was dumping core every time it was started.
>
> Does named invoke netconfig ??

There's probably more than one "netconfig" in the *nix universe. In Solaris,
"netconfig" isn't a program that one would invoke; it's a configuration file
that determines what network transports are used, and in what order.
Apparently, the socket() call in Solaris 2.5.1 needs to consult that file, so
it must be present in the chroot jail. In Solaris 2.6 and later, it is
unnecessary.