Public and Free DNS

James Housley jim at thehousleys.net
Tue Jun 27 23:05:36 UTC 2000

"Paul L. Sledge" wrote:

> I am looking for a Free and Public DNS hosting site.. so I dont have to
> pay 200 bucks to have my isp hook me up with DNS.  I want to host my own
> domain on my own equipment.
>
> Thanks
> Paul
>
> --
> Just because I'm getting older doesn't mean I have to grow up.
http://publicdns.granitecanyon.com is one choice with good geographic
seperation, but they may or may not be having problems.

http://www.centralinfo.net is another choice.  They are also free and
have a lot of other services, but both servers are on the same net.

What I am doing and would recomend is setup a DNS server on your
machine, but don't publish it's address with InterNIC or whoever.  Then
use both GraniteCanyon and Central Info as secondary servers.  List both
of these with InterNIC and point them to your server as the master.

Jim

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
    good with ketchup.