resolv.conf for caching-only

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jun 28 22:24:56 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.GSO.4.21.0006281629510.14781-100000 at sleet.lakeheadu.ca>,
Geoff Hill - CTRC  <gihill at sleet.lakeheadu.ca> wrote:
>Excuse me if this has been asked before.  I couldn't find the
>answer in the O'Reilly book.  I'm not sure what my /etc/resolv.conf
>file should look like on a Solaris server which will be a
>caching-only nameserver. Right now it just has entries for our
>real nameservers.  Do I need a 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' line ?

The resolv.conf file has no effect on how the server operates.  It's only
used by client software, not named.

If you want to use itself as a nameserver when running applications, then
put 127.0.0.1 in it.  But if the only time you login to the machine is when
you're troubleshooting its nameserver operations, then having it be
dependent on itself would probably make things harder.

P.S.  If you're starting a new topic, don't use the Followup or Reply
command.  Now your message is threaded into a completely unrelated
discussion.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA