resolv.conf for caching-only

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 28 21:12:52 UTC 2000

Geoff Hill - CTRC wrote:

> Excuse me if this has been asked before.  I couldn't find the
> answer in the O'Reilly book.  I'm not sure what my /etc/resolv.conf
> file should look like on a Solaris server which will be a
> caching-only nameserver.  Right now it just has entries for our
> real nameservers.  Do I need a 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' line ?

You'd need something pointing at the local server, either loopback or the
address of one of its interfaces. I prefer using loopback, since it makes my
resolv.conf files portable, and I've never had a problem with it (certainly
no problem on Solaris 2.3 through 7). But apparently some platforms suffer
from some old BSD brokenness and don't handle loopback properly. At least,
that's what I've heard.