Running a Primary and Secondary on a server

Mathias Koerber mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
Thu Jun 29 01:47:57 UTC 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Jim Reid wrote:

|     Wong> Hi, I've 2 servers each hosting their own separate domains
|     Wong> and I would like to run the primary and secondary DNS
|     Wong> services off each of them such that they would act as
|     Wong> Primary DNS for the domains hosted on themselves and
|     Wong> Secondary DNS for each other. Is this possible?
| Of course! In fact doing this is a very good idea, so just do it.

But please note that it might not be of much value added if both your servers
are located in the same building or room, or on the same LAN, or on the same
power supply and are to be the only authoritative servers for your domains.
In this case any likely failure (network problem, power failure or worse)
would totally take down your domains after all.

See RFC2182 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2182.txt) section 3.1

You should arrange for at least one secondary NS for each domain
outside your location, eg at your ISP (ok), or better even farther
away (say overseas etc). Some ISPs do provide secondary DNS service

Mathias Koerber	  | Tel: +65 / 471 9820    |   mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
SingNet NOC	  | Fax: +65 / 475 3273    |            mathias at koerber.org
Q'town Tel. Exch. | PGP: Keyid: 768/25E082BD, finger mathias at singnet.com.sg
2 Stirling Rd     |      1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *