Ignoring unqualified MX's ?

Anne Bennett anne at alcor.concordia.ca
Fri Mar 24 19:04:59 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin  <barmar at bbnplanet.com> writes:

> I'm not sure why that MX record is causing you problems, anyway.  It points
> to the name localhost in the root domain, but there is no such name.  Why
> is your mailer trying to send it to localhost.yourdomain?

Now I'm confused.  Since time immemorial (well, OK, about a decade)
I've been configuring all my name servers to answer authoritatively for
  127.0.0.1 PTR localhost.
and
  localhost. A 127.0.0.1

I'm *quite* sure that I read copious documentation and I'm supposed to
be doing that.  Has practice changed?  Have I (and countless others)
been misunderstanding the documentation for years?  Or am I
misunderstanding your post just now?

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett          anne at alcor.concordia.ca           +1 514 848-7606
Senior Analyst,  IITS,  Concordia University,  Montreal QC,  Canada H3G 1M8