Ignoring unqualified MX's ?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Mar 24 22:09:13 UTC 2000

> > I'm not sure why that MX record is causing you problems, anyway.  It
points
> > to the name localhost in the root domain, but there is no such name.
Why
> > is your mailer trying to send it to localhost.yourdomain?
>
> Now I'm confused.  Since time immemorial (well, OK, about a decade)
> I've been configuring all my name servers to answer authoritatively for
>   127.0.0.1 PTR localhost.
> and
>   localhost. A 127.0.0.1

The former, sure, but how do you accomplish the latter?  Do you
configure your name server as authoritative for the root zone?
The name "localhost." is in the root zone.

> I'm *quite* sure that I read copious documentation and I'm supposed to
> be doing that.  Has practice changed?  Have I (and countless others)
> been misunderstanding the documentation for years?  Or am I
> misunderstanding your post just now?

Unless the folks who maintain the root zone add a domain name to
the zone called "localhost.," then, as Barry says, there's no such
domain name as "localhost." and the MX record described won't
do anything.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.