Reload depending on Zonefiles

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sat Mar 25 20:31:04 UTC 2000

In article <38dce0c2$0$11362 at news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
Johnno <johnno at nospam.casebook.org> wrote:
>Reloading the entire DNS database on a namesevrer containing a lot of zones
>will place extra load on the nameserver.
>
>As I mentioned, you should only reload zones which have changed.

"ndc reload" only reloads zones that have changed.  named remembers the
modification time of each file it has loaded, and only reloads files whose
timestamps have changed.

There's a little extra work due to having to check all the timestamps, but
it doesn't add up to much.  "ndc reload" on our server with 16,000 zones
takes less than a minute when just one file has changed.

Also, make is going to do all the same timestamp comparisons that named
does.  So the load takes place on the server, just in a different process.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com