a bit of theory about PTR records requested

Gregg Rosenberg gregg at ricis.com
Wed Mar 29 14:54:21 UTC 2000

If we are talking external address space.  Any address not actually being
used for accessing a machine on the inside or any address used for NAT is
given a generic name.  You definitely must have an external reverse for
authentication.

Here you could try a wild card PTR.  Although I don't like that method.  My
preference is to setup generic names that can be easily script or
spreadsheet generated for both the forward and reverse.

Forward:
host-64-4-192-1 IN      A       64.4.192.1
host-64-4-192-2 IN      A       64.4.192.2
host-64-4-192-3 IN      A       64.4.192.3

Reverse:
64.4.192.1              IN      PTR     host-64-4-192-1.
64.4.192.2              IN      PTR     host-64-4-192-2.
64.4.192.3              IN      PTR     host-64-4-192-3.

You can make the names as simple or complex as you like.

--
Gregg Rosenberg -- N9NNO
RICIS, Inc.
gregg at ricis.com