Problem setting up a Subdomain

Roark Fisher fisherr at imall.com
Wed Mar 29 21:23:12 UTC 2000

  If anyone has an idea where to look for a solution to this, I would
appreciate any direction.

  I am running bind 8.2.2 on a Solaris 2.6 system and am managing name
services my own internal network (10.x.x.x).

  I have a parent domain called foo.com (on a server called
dns.foo.com).  Under this parent domain, I have setup a subdomain called
little.foo.com.  The little.foo.com domain is managed by its own
separate DNS server (dns2.foo.com).

  If I do an nslookup and set server to dns2.foo.com, I can lookup all
systems within the little.foo.com domain correctly.

  If I am on my parent DNS server, do an nslookup, set type=ns, and
lookup little.foo.com, it correctly gives dns.foo.com as the name of the
Name Server for this domain.

  However, I cannot correctly lookup any of the systems in the
little.foo.com domain from my parent DNS server.

  In troubleshooting, I feel the problem may be with my use of
forwarders.  To resolve external address, my parent DNS server makes use
of forwarders on an external network to resolve Internet address.  I
noted that if I set the first forwarder in the list to be dns2.foo.com,
then I can resolve all names (but things get very slow).  If I take
dns2.foo.com out of the forwarder list (or move it to another position
in the list), I cannot lookup any name in the little.foo.com domain.

  I also have another DNS server on another internal domain.  This
DNS server does not make any use of forwarders and points to itself in
its /etc/resolv.conf file.  It can correctly lookup systems in the
little.foo.com domain and the foo.com domain.

  It appears to me that the dns2.foo.com server is working correctly as
the separate DNS server is resolving the names correctly.  The problem
is that my parent system for the little.foo.com domain cannot.

  Does anyone know where this misconnection is occuring or have a
suggestion on where I can look?

  Thank you.

-Roark Fisher
   fisherr at imall.com