Won't resolve domain but all other DNS servers do

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Mar 29 23:01:36 UTC 2000

In article <38e27bf8.88393529 at nntp.infoave.net>,
Michael Long <mlong at spamnot.infoave.net> wrote:
>I am admin for 3 DNS servers, all running the latest 8.2.2P5 I
>believe.  We host a couple thousand domains, and for the most part,
>have no problems.
>
>However, someone brought a domain to me "yorko.com" which would not
>resolve for clients using our DNS server for resolving.  When you did
>a nslookup it would sit there for like 30 seconds then come back and
>say it did not exist.
>
>Now we don't host this domain, and we never have.  When I go to other
>DNS servers (mindspring.com, aol, etc.) they have no trouble resolving
>it.
>
>It seems to me this should be transparent - named should go to the
>root server, then to dell (the host of this domain), then come back to
>us with the IP.
>
>Why is this failing for us and not for any other dns servers?

Are you able to look up names in other domains that those servers host?
For instance, can you look up www.actechnologies.net?

If not, here are two reasons I can think of:

1) There's a communication problem between your server and the network
that ns1.us.dellhost.com and ns2.us.dellhost.com are on.  Can you ping them
from your nameserver?

2) Your server may, somehow, have incorrect addresses for those server
names.  If you look them up, they should be 209.235.107.14 and
209.235.107.16.  If not, you need to check all your files to see where you
may have these names entered.

To troubleshoot further, turn on tracing with "ndc trace", try to look up
www.yorko.com, and then check the trace file to see what it was doing.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com