need help with child subdomains and zone transfers

Duane Cox dcox at coxnetwork.com
Thu Mar 30 17:05:05 UTC 2000

Hello

I need some help with setting up some child subdomains.. please :)

I have nameservers ns1.illicom.net and ns2.illicom.net, and the zone files in question are illicom.net and paxton.illicom.net.

I want my provider to do zone transfers on the zone illicom.net... no problem, I understand how to do that part
but paxton.illicom.net is its own zone file and really is not tied with illicom.net, BUT correct me if I am wrong...

If at&t does a zone transfer on illicom.net and and at&t server is listed as a slave for that zone (illicom.net), and if someone in the world
is using that slave (at&t's)... potentially if that person was to try to access paxton.illicom.net, which would result in illicom.net looked up
first on that slave, then they would NOT be able to access any hosts in the paxton.illicom.net child subdomain... ??
Reason for this logic is that illicom.net does not include any record to paxton.illicom.net  .. so what should I do here ? create an NS and A record
for paxton.illicom.net in the illicom.net subdomain??

ps: right now at&t is not listed as a slave because I wanted to figure this out before I made the request...

Any info is helpful!

Duane Cox
dcox at coxnetwork.com