Sendmail/DNS question; no permanent internet connection.

Peter Jones pjones at powerup.com.au
Fri Mar 31 08:15:00 UTC 2000

Hello,

I'm going round and round in circles trying to get this to work; will
someone out there who knows better please take pity on me and point me
in the right direction...?  Thanks.

I'm cross-posting this to DNS.bind *and* sendmail newsgroups because
I'm not exactly sure where my problem lies...

Basically I have a small home network with a couple of Windows
machines attached to a linux internet gateway.  The linux machine is
only connected occasionally; it is *not* a permanent connection.
(And, needless to say, it does not have a *real* domain name...)

What I want to be able to do is point my Windows email software SMTP
server at the linux machine, so that I can send an email at any time,
and have it queued by (presumably) sendmail until such time as I'm
actually online (at which time all queued mail should be sent.)
(Ideally, while I'm actually online, I'd like all mail to be passed
straight through to the ISP's SMTP server without being queued!)

At the moment, whenever I try this, everything grinds to a halt as
sendmail tries to do a DNS check on something; either my ISP's server
or the target email address...?  What do I do?????

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

Regards,
Pete.

--
  Come and visit Pete's Place @ http://www.powerup.com.au/%7Epjones/