Bind V9 and hosting lots of Domains

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Mar 2 21:44:26 UTC 2000

    >> If the daemon is taking a long time to start up *because* it's
    >> having to parse these text files and convert them to a
    >> different internal memory format, it seems sensible to store
    >> them in something closer to the internal format.  Cf sendmail.

    Kevin> If you're talking about frozen configuration files, I
    Kevin> believe sendmail stopped supporting those a while ago. They
    Kevin> were a pain for admins to deal with and didn't really buy
    Kevin> any performance improvements on modern machines.  At least,
    Kevin> that's what Eric Allman told me, but what does he know? :-)

IIRC there were security problems with sendmail's frozen config files
too. The frozen file was little more than the entire data segment of
the process. A little creative tampering with the internal pointers in
its data structures sometimes had interesting results. Those frozen
config files don't work so well with today's VM subsystems because the
address space probably contains memory mapped files, shared libraries
and so on.