slow name lookups

Brandes marko.brandes at ib-brandes.de
Sun Mar 5 22:56:31 UTC 2000

hi there,

i'm running bind8 on an i386 pc. I have set up named to resolve names for my
local network. It just works fine. Only if i try to connect to sites at the
internet, name resolving takes round about 5 seconds to be done. I've read
nearly all docs and faqs but no hints.

Here is my configuration:

/etc/resolv.conf:
search my.domain
nameserver 192.168.1.1      <-- local nameserver

/etc/named.conf
forwarders{IP-of-first-nameserver-at-provider;
                  IP-of-second-nameserver-at-provider;
};

I have tested the connection to the ns at the provider with a direct
connection from an win98 pc: name resolving is done in a few miliseconds, so
a slow connection is not the problem. I 've also checked the debugging
information. Result: Named seems to be sleeping for 5 seconds if it doesn't
get an answer promptly from the first forwarder. Next forwarding is done
after this amount of time (it seems)!?!

Any help would be appreciated

Marko Brandes