Having all unknown domains serve from one file

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Mar 9 23:20:50 UTC 2000

In article <fc.000f4850005b7085000f4850005b7085.5b70aa at newc.com>,
cd-BIND-list <cd-BIND-list at newc.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm interested in setting up a new DNS which, regardless of the domain name,
>will serve from one central file (ie, the A, MX, SOA, etc. records all come
>from one file).
>
>The basic reason is that I've got a large number of domains names that I just
>want to have the same information come out for. I want a server (and just a
>server - this isn't one to serve queries to a local network or a client
>population; just one to be referenced in a netsol registration, etc.) to be
>there to point to for networksolutions or similar registrations, and require
>that I do no work to set it up.

You can create a single zone file and have all the "zone" statements in
your named.conf file reference it.  Just make sure that all intrazone
references use unqualified names (use @ to refer to the domain name
itself).

When you add a new domain, you just add something like this to the
named.conf:

zone "newdomain.com" {
  type master;
  file "common.db";