point all "*.abc.com" to "abc.com"

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Mar 10 15:24:39 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.GSO.4.10.10003102117490.20553-100000 at iesun55>,
Chau Chi Kin , Sid <ckchau8 at ie.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote:
>i wish to config BIND to point domain name "*.abc.com" where "*" is the
>wildcat of whatever valid characters, to the root domain "abc.com".
>
>how can i do that ?

In the abc.com zone file, put:

* CNAME abc.com.

My reading of the spec says that this isn't really guaranteed to work, but
I think BIND supports it.

If it doesn't work, just copy the records that you care about.  E.g. if you
have:

abc.com.  A  1.2.3.4
          MX 10 mailer.somewhere.com.

then do: