Renaming /bin [Was: AW: making forwarders]

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Mar 14 15:22:09 UTC 2000

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 02:13:00PM +0500, Saqib Mustafa wrote:
> I have a question to all of u. I have accidently moved my bin folder in
> the "/" folder to some other place. Now its not letting me boot or do
> anything. Please some one HELPPPP!!!!
>
> Saqib Mustafa
> 	Not Another Completely Heuristic Operating System (NACHOS!!!)

(1) this is not a "BIND" problem, although it puts you in quite a bind.
;-}

(2) they are directories, not "folders", whatever those are.

(3) depending on the kind of system, you should be able to boot off the
installation CD ROM or an "emergency" diskette created for that
purpose, and examine and fix the root file system.

(4) it is a good rule to NEVER do anything logged in as or aliased to
the root account.  NEVER, ever, ever, ever, ever.  obviously, you have
to break this rule once or twice in your life.  but if you TRY to
follow it, you are less likely to accidentally rename your /bin
directory to another name.  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B