Subdomains and MX record problem

Michael Delatte michael.delatte at vpresence.com
Tue Mar 14 18:11:18 UTC 2000

Hello,

 I'm using a Redhat Linux as DNS server with Bind named 8.2.2-P3.

 I have a problem with a MX record when setting it up with subdomain.

The subdomain is "amd.asso.be" with the following DB file :

---------------
@       IN      SOA     localhost. root.vpresence.com.  (
                                        95305646118
                                        28800
                                        14400
                                        3600000
                                        86400
                                                )
                IN      NS      bizns1.vpresence.com.
www     IN      A       195.162.204.216
ftp     IN      A       195.162.204.216
mail    IN      A       195.162.204.210
                MX      10      195.162.204.210.
                IN      NS      bizns2.vpresence.com.
------------

 IP 195.162.204.210 and 195.162.204.216 are not those of the redhat DNS
server ... www is working fine, ftp also ... mail.amd.asso.be is right
(ping are OK)

BUT, when trying to send email to the SMTP server "mail.amd.asso.be", it
failed because the resolution cannot find the MX for this domain name :
"amd.asso.be" !

When trying a NSLOOKUP on bizns1.vpresence.com, I get the following result
:

-----
Default Server:  bizns1.vpresence.com
Address:  212.122.35.3

> set type=MX
> amd.asso.be
Server:  bizns1.vpresence.com
Address:  212.122.35.3

amd.asso.be
        origin = localhost
        mail addr = root.vpresence.com
        serial = 816365606
        refresh = 28800 (8H)
        retry   = 14400 (4H)
        expire  = 3600000 (5w6d16h)
        minimum ttl = 86400 (1D)
-----

 This is not a MX record output ... why ???

I have already tried with another line for the MX => " MX 	10
mail.amd.asso.be."  but I get the same results

 I have made NSLOOKUP for some other computer with the same output

 all help welcome, thanks in advance

Michael Delatte
michael at biz.be