Question on domains

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Mar 15 18:35:28 UTC 2000

In article <890B12B8398AD211BC6100805FA784A20538372D at es04snlnt.sandia.gov>,
Cinense, Mark <macinen at sandia.gov> wrote:
>Greetings all,
>
>	Could someone please answer this question for me.  We have someone
>that is instructed by another organization to have a webserver with our IP
>address, and have a different domain name.  In other words can we have .gov
>and a .org have same subnet information?  Is this possible?  How do we do
>that, if it is possible.  Thanks,

There's absolutely no correspondence between domains and subnets.  Any name
in any domain can point to any address on any subnet.  Multiple domains can
point to addresses in the same subnet.  This about web hosting services:
they obviously have different customers' www.<something>.com addresses all
pointing to addresses on their network, right?  If this couldn't be done,
how could web farms exist?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com