Help with internal address

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Mar 15 22:19:31 UTC 2000

> > > I don't find an NS record with that name in the dumpdb file.  I DO have a
> > > MX record on it - that's how I get the mail to nt01.  From the dumbpdb:
> > >
> > > [root at ns1 named]# grep nt01 named_dump.db
> > >         3600    IN      MX      10 nt01.ankr-tite.com.  ;Cl=2
> > >         3600    IN      MX      10 nt01.wejit.com.      ;Cl=2
> > >
> > > I don't want to take this out as my mail stops going to nt01 if I do.  Is
> > > there another way I should be doing it?
> > >
> >         It normally is a NS record which causes this message but
> >         any record that causes additional section processing can
> >         do it, like MX records.
> >
> >         As for not removing the offending record. How can your mail
> >         be going to nt01.wejit.com as there is no A (or any other)
> >         record for nt01.wejit.com.  That is what the error message
> >         is telling me.
> >

> I'm not sure why it works but it does work.  I suspect it's like this:
> nt01.wejit.com is
> the primary mailhost but ns1.wejit.com is the secondary;  so when the sender
> can't find nt01 it goes to ns1.  Then, ns1 (who is permitted to relay) finds
> nt01's address either in it's /etc/hosts or from our internal DNS server and
> sends it on.
>

> >         You need to look in named_dump.db and find out the owner of
> >         the nt01.wejit.com record.
>
> The owner?  I don't understand - how would I find that?  I grepped the file f
> or
> nt01, you can see the results above.

The dump is in master file format.  Information is inherited from previous
records and not just printed out every time.  In the file there will be
something like this.

$ORIGIN example.com.
xxxx	3600	IN	MX	0 some.host.example.com.
	3600	IN      MX      10 nt01.wejit.com.

In this example the owner of the MX record would be 'xxxx.example.com'.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com