Hostname in one domain, IP address in another?

Stewart.Ann Ann_Stewart at ftb.ca.gov
Thu Mar 16 02:25:40 UTC 2000

OK, let me try this again.

Our domain is ftb.ca.gov <http://www.ftb.ca.gov> .   We are NOT a subnet of
the main California domain, ca.gov. <http://www.ca.gov>   We have a host in
the ftb.ca.gov domain whose name is www.taxes.ca.gov.
<http://www.taxes.ca.gov. >   There is a link to this host from the CA main
page, www.ca.gov <http://www.ca.gov> .  The link points to www.taxes.ca.gov
<http://www.taxes.ca.gov> .  Browsers using this link are first directed to
the ca.gov DNS servers, where www.taxes.ca.gov <http://www.taxes.ca.gov>  is
tied to the correct IP address and the resolution is fast.  So everything is
hunky-dory for people outside our firewall who click on the link from the CA
home page.  However, inside the firewall, it takes an entire minute for the
page to load, and it ends up, of course, with the FQDN of
www.taxes.ca.gov.ftb.ca.gov <http://www.taxes.ca.gov.ftb.ca.gov> .  The
one-minute wait is annoying for people higher up who make a lot more money
than I do.  They want it to resolve NOW.  I tried calling the host just
"taxes" so that after resolution (internal) its name would be
taxes.ftb.ca.gov, and that works fine internally: all they have to do is
type "taxes" in the browser.  But the well paid higher-up person wants to be
able to give demos, inside the firewall, showing how EZ it is to get to our
tax site by clicking on the CA home page link, and doesn't want to type
"taxes" in the browser address line.  Here's my question:  Is there a way to
set it up in our DNS database so it can be called www.taxes.ca.gov
<http://www.taxes.ca.gov>  and have it resolve immediately?

Please reply to me directly at ann_stewart at ftb.ca.gov
<mailto:ann_stewart at ftb.ca.gov> .  Thank you.