resolv local test nodes, if not the forw

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Mar 16 18:35:01 UTC 2000

In article <8ar4dr$rg2$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <edwede at my-deja.com> wrote:
>i have local test machines i want to resolve. If the lookup is a node
>not on that list, i want it to forward to the main name server.
>
>so...
>

>testbox.domainxyz.com     is in my local dns.
>prodnode.domainxyz.com    is on the company dns.
>
>both are on the same domain.
>what config do i need to be able to forward the request if my local dns
>does not find for example prodnode?
>
>i have tried forwarders and forward only, but guess i don't know exactly
>what to do

This is not a valid configuration.  Servers are authoritative for whole
zones.  If a name is not in the zone, the server believes definitively that
it doesn't exist, and will never forward.

If your box is just supposed to be authoritative for a handful of names in
the domain, you could put them each in their own zone, e.g. instead of

zone "domainxyz.com" { type master; ... };

do:

zone "testbox.domainxyz.com" { type master; ...};

You'll need to make a separate zone file for each name that's being done
like this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com