Planning for Emergencies

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Fri Mar 17 09:01:03 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: wwebb at adni.net

> Is there a way to configure a system that if a server fails another
> server at a differant geographic location will automatically takeover?
> If so, how is that done?

Since this is the BIND users list, I assume you mean name servers.

Yes, this is built into the DNS. You should always have authoritative name
servers at different locations, so that they're not all taken out by e.g.
a single network outage. As long as all of these servers are listed in the
parent zone (e.g. "net."), name resolution will work as long as one of
them can be contacted.

Thor

--
Unsecured email can be monitored, falsified, altered
and repudiated. Please use PGP. Help is available