Please help with in-addr.arpa addressing

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sat Mar 18 02:30:46 UTC 2000

In article <38d2c1cf.0 at d2o62.telia.com>, Mo Shivji <mo at teliauk.net> wrote:
>Could someone please advise me on a DNS problem.
>
>I have setup a reverse DNS file and it implements RFC 2317 , or otherwise
>known as 'CNAME Hacks' as I am told. I have read the RFC top to bottom.
>
>I have been having some problems with propergation of this in reverse and
>have read the 'DNS & BIND' with regards to this topic. The book says that
>the
>987.654.321.in-addr.arpa reverse domains have to be registered with the
>Internic.
>
>Is this true ?   (I don't want to doubt the book in any way)

Addresses are no longer registered with InterNIC.  That duty is now
performed by ARIN, RIPE, and APNIC, depending on what continent you're on.

However, that's not really relevant, either.  IP addresses are now normally
assigned by ISPs.  The ISP gets a large address block whose reverse DNS is
delegated to them from the registry, and then they delegate reverse DNS for
the smaller blocks to their customers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com